Cinco De Mayo Salsa Cook Off Competition on Thursday, May 5, 2011
Join Laura Cain from Jeff & Jer on Kyxy FM and Jennifer White from Sophie FM as they Emcee and judge the Cinco De Mayo Salsa Cook-off on Hornblower Cruises!
A dozen teams from San Diego local companies will be chosen to compete for prizes and the title of "Best Salsa on San Diego Bay" !
HOW TO ENTER: Send Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- include your Company Name*
- Contact name
- email address
- daytime phone
- Describe briefly WHY you would like to bring a team of 5 on Hornblower to compete in the Salsa Cook-off.
*Teams must be from a company or will not be qualified to participate!
We will draw winner on Friday, April 29th, 2011 and notify all registrants before 5:00 p.m.
Please be sure you can gather a team of 5 and join us on May 5, 2011 on Hornblower.
ABOUT THE EVENT:
Who in your group is the Salsa Guru? Let us put them to the test! Each team will be given all the supplies they need to come up with their own authentic salsa. Get creative because they will also be judged on their (salsa) company logo and salsa product commercial-created by you and your team!
WHAT YOU GET:
- South of the Border Buffet including the salsa's from each of the 10 competing teams!
- Salsa Cook-Off, all ingredients and teambuilding coordination
- Cinco de Mayo themed refreshments
- A chance to win one of three top prizes consisting of Hornblower Cruise tickets
May 5th Schedule:
Boarding: 11:30 a.m.
Competition: noon - 2:00 pm
Teams will compete against one another to make the best salsa!
Each team will have 1 hour to create their unique salsa using ingredients from the marketplace, come up with a company logo and name for salsa (use poster board) and to produce a commercial they will later perform (get creative!) or a slogan to sell their salsa. They will be judged on all three components before hors d’oeuvres are served. HCE staff and coordinator will judge the salsa, logo/company name, and commercials. Guests will be able to sample the different types of salsa during lunch.
*each team is allowed to bring one "secret ingredient" onboard to add to their salsa recipe.
* They will have an on-board coordinator to explain the “friendly” competition they are about to engage in, answer any questions and to keep the group on track with time.
* Teams determine a “captain” to keep the group on track and one person to do “the shopping” at the market. (Hornblower to provide).
* When the 1 hour is up, each team will present their salsa, logo/company name, and perform their commercial.
* the top 3 Winners receive up to prizes including a free office party for 20 in 2011 and
Seafarers pass each (good for a harbor tour or whale watching).
Marketplace Ingredients: Bell Peppers, Mangoes, Limes, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Salt, Tabasco, Onions, Oranges, Whole Garlic, Serrano Peppers, Salt & Pepper, Tomatoes, Apples, Cilantro, Cumin. Tortilla Chips for all! Hornblower will provide the following equipment for the teams: Mixing Bowl, Large spoon, 4 small bowls, paper towels, 4 spoons, utility knife, cutting board, gloves, trash bags, tarps, poster board and a marker to design their logo. Set Up on Board: Market place table with ingredients, workstations tables for each group to make their salsa and design their logo.
South of the Border Cinco De Mayo Menu
- Green Garden Salad & dressing
- Fresh Fruit
- Refried Beans
- Spanish Rice
- Build your own Taco Bar with roasted spicy chichen
- Salsa from the competing teams (over 10 kinds!)
- Flour & corn tortillas
- Lettuce, cheese, hot sauce
- Fudge brownies and cookies
- Salsa Fresca Served with Tri-colored Tortilla Chips
Each year I plan the summer team outing for my company, and each year my coworkers encourage me to choose Hornblower for our venue. My Sales Manager at Hornblower took the time to get to not only understand my needs, but also did her research on what my company is all about.
– Valerie M